|| Exact build date of the original house is unknown. The original house seems
to be the 3-storey, 3 -window block on the right as you view from Paradise Road.
|| "The Prospect of Richmond Surry" print, despite other inaccuracies, shows a
remarkably accurate picture of the house.
|| First rate books show the ratepayer to be Andrew Arnold
|| Ratepayer: Mr Telleman
|| Ratepayer: Tobias Wall
|| Ratepayer: Thomas Hayworth
||Ratepayer: Mr Allen
First addition to the original house - 2-storey 3 narrow window wing slightly set back is
shown on the 1771 map.
Richardson's map shows John Halford as copyholder of 2 adjoining plots of land. The Manor
Copyholder: John Halford
( a brewer who joined Mr Weatherstone in partnership at Mortlake Brewery, and
on his retirement was joined by Mr Topham. John Halford was responsible for the transfer of the
Castle Hotel in George Street to Hill Street in 1761)
A messuage, coach house, stable offices and garden about one acre, one rood and 18 perches in the
occupation of Isaac Henckell Esq., situate in Church Shot on the southeast side of Red Lyon
|| Ratepayer: Rev. Richard Dadd
|| Ratepayer: Carteret John Halford (1752 - 1837). Churchwarden of the parish
church 1782-84, member of the Vestry.
|| C.J.Halford is listed in Evans' Richmond and Vicinity directory as resident in
Vineyard House. This is the earliest reference to this name for the house.
|| Driver map shows the house as "Vineyard House" and does not detail as such the
house in The Vineyard but that may be because the latter was freehold rather than copyhold.
|| Ratepayer: Elizabeth Halford
|| Census lists Elizabeth S Halford as living on Red Lion Street. She was
unmarried, 70 years old and Gentlewoman Trader? & House proprietor. She was living with her 23
year-old nephew, a solicitor, and 3 servants.
|| Halford Place – now the site of the former
Premier/Suffield House office block fronting Paradise Road – was built on part of the garden of
Halford House. Later Albert Dixon purchased the property and commissioned the architect F
Brewer to plan and assign a new road (Halford Road)
|| Census shows 10 Halford Place (part rewritten as Halford House) with Richard
Harman, tea dealer, as head of household with family and lodgers in occupation - in all 16
|| Photo shows game of croquet played on the front lawn of Halford House
John Thomas Billett, the famous confectioner and
pastry cook of the ‘Maids of Honour’ shop then on Hill Street, is listed in the 1878 directory at
Halford House, Red Lion Street.
A large extension was built on the side of the house;
this wing later became the premises of the Richmond School of Art and Music (Head Master D
Marwood) and a variety of other organisations while the house remained a private
|| Building work commenced on new houses on the site of the
gardens around September 1881 and the road was finally made up in 1887
| School of Art closed
||Building used by the WVS for Civil Defence
Mr Hullah Brown claimed ownership in 1951 according
to a report in the Richmond and Twickenham Times on 17 February 1951. He claimed his residence was
'neither vacant nor derelict' but admitted the former school of art was in a bad state of
|| The Christian Fellowship in Richmond bought the house for £450.
|| The Fellowship bought the main part of their present garden, formerly a market
garden. (See 10A)
|| The Fellowship bought the former British Red Cross Hall next to them in Halford