The Vineyard, Richmond
  An Online History for residents, their families and friends

 
 Present number/name Pre-1936 number / name  Pre-1893 number/name  
  Clearwater House, Grosvenor Rd

British Schools, 40

British Schools

 TIMELINE

 Old School building 

1857 A school was established in the crypt of The Congregational Church.
1867 New school opened by the Prime Minister, Lord John Russell, who lived at Pembroke Lodge, Richmond Park.
 1874

 Wood: Boys: David Marwood, master
Girls & Infants: Miss Marwood, mistress

Gardiner, Augustus E., Boys school 

 1881  Census: David Marwood, Schoolmaster, his wife, 4 children, 2 schoolmistressed and a servant. 
 1891  Census: James Lancaster, Master of Elementary school, his wife a music teacher and 2 daughters. 
 1894

 Plan of new classroom and toilets

Page 2

 1901  Census: (38 now treated with the school) James Lancaster, School Teacher, his wife and 3 daughters. 
 1904 Kelly: Lancaster, James 
1904

 Plan for new cloakrooms and porch

Page 2

 1908

 Plan for Infants School and classrooms

Page 2

 1911  Census: Arthur Boswell, Caretaker, his wife and 4 children
1940s

3 bomb shelters were dug in the playground. When used in 1940, the girls were required to spend their time knitting seaboot stockings for sailors from oiled wool.

The headmaster told the school, when the shelters were dug, the builders had found an old well and a wine-press. 

1950s 3 adjoining houses, nos 34, 36 & 38 were demolished to increase the playground space.
 1962 Infant classes moved to new site.
1984

School was moved to its present site in Friar Style Road and the building was converted to sheltered housing flats.

See photo record of the changes here

 

Previous House
Next House
Navigation