The Vineyard, Richmond
  An Online History for residents, their families and friends

 

Present number/name

Pre-1936 number/name

Pre-1893 number/name

Newark House, 9

Newark House, 9

Newark House

TIMELINE

Newark House, 9

1726 First rates entry
1771 Richardson Manor map shows site plot no 385/6 and Alex Crawford occupying the house owned by the Late Michels Trust.
 before 1768 - after 1777  Alexander Craufurd was a member of an old Scottish aristocratic family. He was created first Baronet of Kilbirnie in 1781. His family had acquired the lands of Newark in 1687. Hence presumably the naming of Newark House. Of his 11 children the last 6 were born here. The elder ones were brought up here and 3 went on to sigificant military careers: James (1761-1839), Charles (1763-1834) and Robert (1764-1812)
 1841  Census: Probably occupied by Ann Howlings, schoolmistress, with two other teachers, 9 girl pupils and the Robarts family.
1842  Driver map shows house with 3 bays at rear connected to a wooden extension.
 1851  Census: probably unoccupied.
 1861  Census: Eliza Jane Mellish, a Lady, and 4 servants.
1865 OS map suggests there has been a significant remodelling with the extension incorporated into main building and the third bay has disappeared.
 1865 Whibleys: Sissons Robert
 1871

Census: Robert Sissons, Manchester warehouseman, his wife, 5 children, 4 servants and 3 visitors.

No 7, previously 4 Michel's Plce was not separately listed in this census. Doors still visible in both houses suggest that it was one joint house at this time.

 1874 Wood: Sissons, Robert
 1881

 Census: Robert Sissons, Warehouseman, 6 children, 2 servants.

4 Michel's Place still treated as part of Newark House.

 1891  Census: Charles Bourest, living on own income, his wife and a servant.
 1901  Census: Charles Bourest, living on own income, his wife, 2 sons and a servant
 1910-15

 Valuation Office Survey

Description: House, garden,stables
Occupier: Mr Taylor
Owner: Clerk to Trustees of Michel's Charity
Interest of owner: Freehold
Occupier's tenancy: Lease with No 7, The Vineyard
Gross Value: £950
Notes: Outside - WC, garden, Vinery, greenhouse, 2 Summer houses, timber and tiled stable with yard

 1911  Census: Michael Henry Taylor, HM Coroner for Surrey, his wife, son and a servant.
1950 Grade II listed: 2. ihd C18, 3-storey house, 3 windows wide with slate mansard roof to parapet. Stucco faced with modillion cornice between first and second floors. Door has rusticated surround and open pediment with mutules on carved consoles. To the left, a 2-storey wing set slightly forward in the form of a full-height canted bay with round-headed central window. Modillion eaves cornice connecting with the same to principal part. To the left again a modern extension.

 

Previous House
Next House
Navigation