The Vineyard, Richmond
  An Online History for residents, their families and friends

 

number/name

Pre-1936 number/name

Pre-1893 number/name

8

8

3 Portland Villas

TIMELINE

4-6 The Vineyard 

 1771 Richardson Manor map shows plot no 332 owned by Crofton Ross owner of Clarence House.
 1774 Rental Survey shows the land rented to William Turner of The Hermitage. He gave land for the rebuilding of Queen Elizabeth's Almshouses.
 1842 Driver map shows no development of either The Vineyard or The Hermitage
 1850 no rate book entries for these properties implying they were only built later.
 1861  Census shows occupier as Thomas George Mead, 50, a Boot & Shoe maker, his wife and 2 lodgers.
 1865 OS map shows Portland Villas built as well as the new Hermitage Road.
 1865 Whibleys: 3, Mead T. Geo
 1871  Census: Thomas Mead and wife
 1874 Wood: 3, Mead, Thomas George
 1881  Census: Thomas Mead, foreman to Boot maker, his wife and a lodger.
 1891  Census: Thomas Mead, now living on own means, his sister and her 2 adult children, a visitor and 2 boarders.
1901  Census: Eliza Jane Roberts, Letting furnished apartments, her daughter and 6 lodgers.
1911 Census: Percy James Rumcles, picture frame maker and gilder, his wife, 3 children and a servant.

 

Previous House
Next House
Navigation