The Vineyard, Richmond
  An Online History for residents, their families and friends

 

Present number/name

Pre-1936 number/name

 

Pre-1893 number/name

 

41

41

2 Vineyard Terrace

TIMELINE

41 - 43 The Vineyard

39-43 The Vineyard

1771

Richardson Manor map shows a narrow freehold building using the full depth of plot number 398.

Owned: James Clutterbuck Lessee: Wm Patonn. These are the same as owned Hope House across the road. Premises were a coachhouse with stables and yard.

1842 Driver map shows the building was built from wood.
1871 Census: probable site of 'stables with coachmans room over' occupied by Henry Morley, groom, and his family.
1876  Offer for sale of 'several freehold and copyhold residences, stables and premises situate in the The Vineyard'.
1877  Building of 1-3 The Terrace, now numbers 39-43
1881 Census: John King, bricklayer, his wife and son, 2 visitors and a boarder
 1891  Census: Maria Singleton, dressmaker, her aunt and 3 lodgers
1895 OS maps shows the present configuration with a stable yard runnning behind the 3 houses of Vineyard Terrace
1895 Kelly: 41 Berrows Mrs
 1901  Census: Emma Berrows, son, daughter, son-in-law, grand-daughter and a boarder
1904 Kelly: 41 Berrow Mrs
 1910-15  Valuation Office Survey

Description: House, garden,
Occupier: Mrs Berrows
Owner: E,H.H. Maxwell, Kingsclere, Kings Road, Richmond
Interest of owner: Freehold
Occupier's tenancy: weekly
Gross Value: £265

 1911  Census: Bernardo Freedman-Alessandro, dealer in photos, his wife and 3 children
1920s 41 occupied by the Davie family whose son George was a groom at the stables at No 37. He took Doris James (from Ellerker College) out riding and was involved in an accident which resulted in both of them being taken to Richmond Hospital. (Bryan Govett)
Previous House
Next House

 

Navigation