The Vineyard, Richmond
  An Online History for residents, their families and friends

 

Present number/name

Pre-1936 number/name

Pre-1893 number/name

4

4

1 Portland Villas

TIMELINE

6-8 The Vineyard

 1771  Richardson Manor map shows plot no 332 owned by Crofton Ross owner of Clarence House.
 1774  Rental Survey shows the land rented to William Turner of The Hermitage. He gave land for the rebuilding of Queen Elizabeth's Almshouses.
 1842  Driver map shows no development of either The Vineyard or The Hermitage
 1850  no rate book entries for these properties implying they were only built later.
 1861  Census: occupied by Henry Mason, an artist and teacher of drawing, and his wife Martha.
 1865  OS map shows Portland Villas built as well as the new Hermitage Road.
 1865  Whibleys: 1, Avery Robt.
 1871  Census: Robert Avery and his wife have 5 children, a servant and a lodger.
 1874  Wood: 1, Avery, Robert
 1881  Census: Robert Avery, Plumber, his wife and 4 children. Also a Curate of Richmond as a lodger.
 1891 Census: Edward Jones, accountant, his wife, 3 children, a visitor and a servant.
 1901  Census: Edward Jones, accountant, his wife, 4 children and a servant.
 1911  Census: Owen Oxlade, baker, his wife, 3 children and 2 boarders.

 

Previous House
Next House
Navigation