The Vineyard, Richmond
  An Online History for residents, their families and friends

 
Present number/name Pre-1936 number / name Pre-1893 number/name

30 A & B 

 32

26 

28

1 Prospect House

2 Prospect House

TIMELINE  

30 The Vineyard

32 The Vineyard

1726

First rates paid. Seems to have been all one property including the present 28

1771

Freehold Owner: Mary Toy Lessee: George Briggs

1842

Driver shows no detail since the map only showed copyhold premises and this was one of the rare freeholds. The block's southern corner jutted out into the present street.

 1851

Census shows head of household, Mrs Fanny White, listed as a Lodging House Keeper but only 3 other members of her  own family living there.

1865

OS map confirms a single larger house on the corner with a courtyard behind - perhaps for stables.

 1865

 Whibleys: Prospect Lodge - White Mrs

 1874

Wood: Prospect Place - O'Shea Miss

 1881

 Census: Prospect House occupied by Marion Bryon, widow, and one servant.

 1891

 Census: Prospect House now has 2 sections: Thomas Knapp, dairyman and his family and John Dawson, fruiterer, and his family.

1895

OS map shows the corner house (30 and 32) and 2 additional units for Vineyard Villas.

 1901

 Census: 26, Emma Skelton, widow, and 3 daughters - 2 of whom were dairy assistants.
28, Sarah Dawson, Fruiterer & Florist, a nephew and a boarder.

 1904

Kelly: 26, Edwards John Thomas, dairy
28: John Dawson, Greengrocer

 1911

 Census: 30 (ex 26), Albert Bonhommet, teacher of French.
32 (ex 28), Robert William Fielding, greengrocer & fruiterer, his wife son, servant and boarder.

1913

30 and 32 shown divided diagonally from the corner so as to create 2 retail units.

 1910-15

 Valuation Office Survey

No 30 & 32

Description: House, shop
Occupier: 30 = Mssrs J T Edwards; 32 = R.W. Fielding
Owner: Mrs F.M. Selous, France
Interest of owner: Freehold
Occupier's tenancy: 24.5 years
Gross Value: £975

Shop of no 32 was under part of 30.

 1927

30 = Vineyard Stores and post office
32= dairyman

 1960s

 Robert Ronsson remembers a branch of the Home & Colonial stores he used while working at Paton Engineering at No 45.

 1966

30 - Mrs N.A.Sell - confectioner

 1973

 32 - Irene Burton took over lease, restored the building and shop and opened it as a craft shop called 'Leaves'. Here is a note of her memories.

1996

30 - Change Of Use Of Shop And Basement To Form One 2 Bedroom Maisonette 30 and 32 after change of use to housing

 2001

 32 - Construction Of First Floor Balcony, Ground Floor Balustrade And French Doors On First And Ground Floor Levels At Front Of Property.
Previous House
Next House

 

Navigation