The Vineyard, Richmond
  An Online History for residents, their families and friends

 
Present number/name Pre-1936 number / name Pre-1893 number/name

28

24

 

TIMELINE

28 The Vineyard

1726

First rates paid

1771

Freehold Owner: Mary Toy    Lessee: George Briggs 

1842

Driver shows no detail since the map only showed copyhold premises and this was one of the rare freeholds. 28 seems to have been in the middle of the block whose southern corner jutted out into the present street.

 1851

 Census: William Lark, his sister and a niece lived in 'Vine Cottage'. He was a boot and shoemaker.

 1861

 Census: Same family 10 years on. The name has now been transcribed as Jack but that just shows the problems of hand-writing. William Jack is now a shoe maker (master) and has a young apprentice.

 1865

 OS map confirms its position between Vineyard House and a single larger house on the corner.

 1881

 Census: Henry Hunt, sanitary inspector, and his wife live at 'Vineyard No 2'.

 1891

 Census: Henry Hunt is now a widower and listed as 'Inspector of Nuisances' at No 2.

 1895

 OS map shows the corner house (30 and 32) and the street widened.

 1901

Census: Francis Cole, Plumber, and his wife.

 1901

 
 

28 as a Cole Bros shop in 1901

 

26-28 after remodelling in 1901

Cole Bros, Plumbers & Decorators
22 Halford Road also at Vine Lodge, The Vineyard

 1904

Kelly: Sinden Alfred Ernest, grocer

 1909

Kelly: also a Post Office

 1910-15

 Valuation Office Survey

Description: House, shop
Occupier: A. E. Sinden
Owner: F. Knapp, Glendurst Rd Reading
Interest of owner: Freehold
Occupier's tenancy: weekly
Gross Value: £295

 1911

 Census: Harry Barker West, Green's? Manager, his wife and son.

1913

Map shows that 28 is now a post office

1966

 Shop was both a post office and Cullens, the grocers

 1971

 Detrex Cleaners though name on shop-front was 'Washeteria'

 1972

 Washeteria transformed into a restaurant for the film 'The Vault of Horror'.

 

1970-2000

 

Washeteria downstairs and office upstairs 28 as a Washeteria 1970-2000

2004 Permission granted for change Of Use Of Ground Floor Launderette With Maisonette Above, Together With Single Storey Rear Extension And Alterations To Provide Single Family Dwelling House.

 

Previous House
Next House

 

Navigation