The Vineyard, Richmond
  An Online History for residents, their families and friends

 

number/name

Pre-1936 number/name

Pre-1893 number/name

10

10

4 Portland Villas

TIMELINE

4-6 The Vineyard 

 1771  Richardson Manor map shows plot no 332 owned by Crofton Ross owner of Clarence House.
 1774  Rental Survey shows the land rented to William Turner of The Hermitage. He gave land for the rebuilding of Queen Elizabeth's Almshouses.
 1842  Driver map shows no development of either The Vineyard or The Hermitage
 1850  no rate book entries for these properties implying they were only built later.
 1861  Census shows occupier as Alfred Barber, 38, builder, his wife Emily Julia, 3 children and a visitor.
 1865  OS map shows Portland Villas built as well as the new Hermitage Road.
 1865  Whibleys: 4, Barber A., builder
 1871  Census: Sarah Troubridge, lodging house keeper, he son and 2 lodgers - an officer's widow and, presumably, her son.
 1874  Wood: 4, Bugler, Charles Blackett
 1881  Census: Charles Bugler, tailor, his wife and 4 visitors.
 1891  Census: Mary Goodridge, dressmaker, 2 adult single daughters and a grandson.
1901 Census: J F L Edis, Clerk, his wife, 2 children and 2 boarders. 
1911 Census: James Frederick Langdon Edis, Railway clerk, his wife and 2 grown up children.  They had had 4 children in all but 2 had died. They also had a single 73-year-old woman dressmaker as a lodger.

 

Previous House
Next House
Navigation